Dean of the School of Engineering
36 days ago
Dean of the School of Engineering
American University of Ras Al Khaimah
The American University of Ras Al Khaimah (AURAK) seeks an innovative, experienced educator to lead its School of Engineering, as the university embarks on a new strategic plan focused on providing a transformational, student-centered learning experience based on the North American model of higher education enriched by attention to the culture of the region.
The School of Engineering currently consists of six departments (Architecture, Chemical and Petroleum Engineering, Civil and Infrastructure Engineering, Computer Science and Computer Engineering, Electrical, Electronics and Communications Engineering, and Mechanical and Industrial Engineering) employing 47 full-time faculty. The School of Engineering also houses the Center of Information, Communication and Networking Education and Innovation. All of the School’s Engineering programs and the Computer Science program are ABET accredited, and the Architecture program is beginning the accreditation process with NAAB.
• Earned Doctorate in an Engineering discipline.
• Scholarly publications and university-level teaching experience consistent with faculty appointment at the rank of Professor.
• History of at least five years of effective higher education leadership.
• Experience with the North American model of higher education.
• Experience with ABET accreditation and accreditation at the university level.
• Record of leadership in development and implementation of strategic plans.
• High level of proficiency in written and spoken English, as all instruction and communication at the university is in English.
Preferred Experience and Personal Qualities:
• Experience living and working in multiple international settings.
• Cultural sensitivity.
• Record of developing and implementing new academic programs.
• Evidence of collegiality and effective advocacy for university initiatives.
• Resiliency, optimism, and adaptability.
Special Leadership Opportunities:
• Developing new programs and revamping existing programs to grow enrollment.
• Promoting academic rigor and the use of high-impact educational practices.
• Promoting high-impact research.
• Guiding programs to prestigious international accreditations.
• Expanding community engagement initiatives.
Description of AURAK:
The American University of Ras Al Khaimah (AURAK) is a public non-profit, independent, coeducational institution of higher education which delivers an integrated American-style, undergraduate and graduate education. All programs are accredited by the Ministry of Education of the UAE. In addition, AURAK has recently achieved accreditation with the U.S. regional accreditation association, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). The American model of higher education ensures not only the acquisition of knowledge and skills in specific academic fields, but also a general education curriculum that exposes students to new ideas and ways of thinking critically about local and global issues. The multicultural faculty and student body at AURAK offers candidates the opportunity to collaborate with colleagues in one of the most diverse countries in the world. AURAK is located in Ras Al Khaimah, one of the Northern Emirates and a rapidly growing region. The beauty of Ras Al Khaimah is reflected in its traditions and diverse landscapes — its white sandy beaches, the majestic Hajjar Mountains, the expansive desert and its sands dunes, and the many historical sites. For more information about the American University of Ras Al Khaimah (AURAK), please visit: http://www.aurak.ac.ae.
Application Submission: Application materials must be submitted online:
Incomplete applications will not be acknowledged. Complete applications, with all items combined into a single PDF, include the following items:
• Cover letter
• Statement of leadership philosophy
• Detailed curriculum vitae (résumé)
• Copies of all transcripts – official transcripts will be required upon hiring
• Four references (Names, addresses, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses)
Application Deadline: Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Appointment Information: Full-time, multi-year contract with the possibility of renewal. Start date of August 2020. Competitive salary and benefits packages commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Please create an account in order to apply for this job