Full-time Appointments in Middle East Studies
201 days ago
Two Full-time Appointments in Middle East Studies
Assistant Professor or Associate Professor
American University of Ras Al Khaimah
The Department of Humanities and Social Sciences of the American University of Ras Al Khaimah (AURAK), located in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), invites applications for two full-time faculty positions in Middle Eastern Studies – one at the Assistant Professor rank and one at the Associate Professor rank – to begin Fall 2019, or as soon as possible thereafter.
The School of Arts and Sciences is the process of a dynamic strategic reorganization to expand our programs. The Department of Humanities and Social Sciences housed within the School of Arts and Sciences has developed plans for future growth by proposing a Department of Global Studies which has the potential to offer several exciting educational tracks. We seek a candidate who embraces the nature of inter-disciplinary cooperation and will be able to assist in the development of this new program. The program will open new pathways for the study of topics of a global nature. It is important that any new member of the faculty has an openness to cooperation and collegiality to meet and support this challenge.
• Earned doctorate in Religious Studies or Middle East History or a related field from an accredited institution of higher learning
• Ability to teach courses in Middle East Culture (past and current), Middle East History, Religious Studies
• Ability and willingness to teach a Foundation (pre-university) course in Middle East Studies
• Effective communication skills in English (spoken and written)
• Evidence of a commitment to undergraduate teaching (at least three years of teaching excellence for Associate Professor appointment)
• A record of scholarly publications in a relevant field of study (Middle East Studies, Middle East Culture, Middle East History, Religious Studies) including an active and current research agenda (Associate Professor) or an emerging research agenda (Assistant Professor)
• Experience in curriculum design is preferred
• Effective interpersonal and organizational skills
• Interest and/or experience working with a diverse student population
• Willingness to play an integral role in the growth of a new department including curriculum review, program development, service to the university and the community, and outreach efforts
• Experience of working in the United Arab Emirates or GCC region is an advantage
• Knowledge of North American liberal arts education and U.S. accreditation processes
Description of AURAK:
The American University of Ras Al Khaimah (AURAK) is an independent co-education institution of Higher Education that provides an integrated American-style, undergraduate and graduate education. All programs are accredited by the Ministry of Education of the UAE, and the university recently received initial accreditation through SACSCOC in the United States. The American model of higher education ensures not only skills in specific academic fields, but also a general education curriculum that exposes students to new ideas and ways of thinking critically about local and global issues. The multicultural student body at AURAK offers candidates the opportunity to teach and conduct research in one of the most diverse countries in the world. AURAK is a young and rapidly growing university and will be celebrating its tenth year of operation in 2019. AURAK is located in Ras Al Khaimah, one of the Northern Emirates and a rapidly growing region. The beauty of Ras Al Khaimah is reflected in its traditions and diverse landscapes — its white sandy beaches, the majestic Hajjar Mountains, the expansive desert and its sands dunes, and the many historical sites.
Application materials should be submitted online.
Complete dossiers consist of a single PDF document to include:
• Cover letter describing the candidate’s qualifications
• Curriculum vitae
• A list of at least three professional references (with full title, address, phone and email details)
• Educational philosophy statement (no more than one page)
• Unofficial transcript listing all graduate-level coursework
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
For more information about the American University of Ras Al Khaimah (AURAK) please visit http://www.aurak.ac.ae
Please create an account in order to apply for this job